EADLE KEAHTAH TOH. See THE RED MAN AND HELPER
The Eskimo was a small monthly magazine that began publication at Nome, Alaska, in September, 1916. Published in the interests of the Eskimos of the Northwest District of Alaska, from the Seward Peninsula to Point Barrow, it was founded by Walter C. Shields, Superintendent of the U.S. Bureau of Education for the Northwest District, with the approval of P. P. Claxton, U.S. Commissioner of Education.
The magazine was first edited by E. Dyfed Evans, a teacher at Igloo, who also contributed financially to the publication. In July, 1917, Arthur Shields, son of Walter, became the editor at Nome, but a year later, Evans moved to Nome and again became the editor. The magazine ceased publication in August, 1918, as a result of the death of Walter C. Shields. Throughout this period, the magazine was printed by the Nome Daily Nugget.
Under the direction of Walter Shields, The Eskimo was apparently funded in part by the Bureau of Education, which considered it an educational tool. It recognized the aboriginal population as one of Alaska's greatest resources. Shields believed that the natives were in a transition period; the traditional lifestyle had begun to give way, and Shields wanted to guarantee that the natives became a "productive" part of the population. The magazine served as a means for teachers to unify and keep in touch with one another, and Shields hoped that it would help whites to understand the Eskimos. But mainly, it was viewed as an important