CONSIDERABLE confusion has been caused, owing to the fact that two composers of the name of Burton flourished almost contemporaneously, with the result that most of our musical historians have regarded them as one person and have so treated them, crediting all the musical activities of the two to one single individual, Davy Burton or Avery Burton, whose career has been set forth in my second chapter ( 'David Burton'). Yet it is certain that there were two musicians named Burton who flourished under Henry VIII, but while one was known as Davy or Avery, the other was called Simon. Moreover, David Burton was the earlier of the two, and reference is made to him under Henry VII in 1494, whereas Simon Burton does not come into prominence till 1516. It is not at all unlikely that David Burton was styled 'Davy' or 'Avery', in order to distinguish him from Simon Burton, especially as both were attached to the Court.
Simon Burton was attached to the household of Henry VIII in the year 1518 as yeoman of the Crown, and on October 24 was granted 6d. a day Crown fee, vice James Garside, deceased. On June 17, 1528, William Huchins, Gentleman of the Chapel Royal, was granted the corrody in the monastery of Tywardreth, Cornwall, vice Simon Burton, resigned; the reason of this resignation is that soon after we find Burton in possession of a corrody in the monastery of St. Augustine's, Bristol. This corrody he surrendered in January 1533, and on February 4 it was given to William ap Howell, one of the Marshals of the King's Hall.
In 1534 he entered the service of the Princess Mary, and taught her the Virginals1--an instrument on which she was already fairly proficient. From a letter written by the Bishop of Tarbes,____________________
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: Early Tudor Composers:Biographical Sketches of Thirty-Two Musicians and Composers of the Period 1485-1555. Contributors: W. Henry Hadow - Author, William H. Grattan Flood - Author. Publisher: Oxford university Press, H. Milford. Place of publication: London. Publication year: 1925. Page number: 86.