TRANSLATED FROM THE PAPYRUS, BY JOSEPH SMITH.
A Translation of some ancient Records, that have fallen into our hands from the catacombs of Egypt. ----- The writings of Abraham while he was in Egypt, called the Book of Abraham, written by his own hand, upon papyrus. See History of the Church, vol. 2, pp. 235, 236, 348-351.
1. In the land of the Chaldeans,a at the residence of my father, I, Abraham, saw that it was needful for me to obtain another place of residence;
2. And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers,b and the right whereunto I should be ordainedc to administer the same; having been myself a follower of righteousness, desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness, and to possess a greater knowledge, and to be a father of many nations,d a prince of peace, and desiring to receive instructions, and to keep the commandments of God, I became a rightful heir, a High Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers.e
3. It was conferred upon me from the fathers; it came down from the fathers,f from the beginning of time, yea, even from the beginning, or before the foundations of the earth to the present time, even the right of the firstborn, on the first man,g who is Adam,h our first father, through the fathers unto me.
5. My fathers having turned from their righteousness, and from the holy commandments which the Lord their God had given unto them, unto the worshiping of the gods of the heathen,k utterly refused to hearken to my voice;
6. For their hearts were set to do evil, and were wholly turned to the god of Elkenah,l and the god of Libnah, and the god of Mahmackrah, and the god of Korash, and the god of Pharaoh,m king of Egypt;
7. Therefore they turned their hearts to the sacrifice of the heathen in offering up their children unto their dumb idols, and hearkened not unto my voice, but endeavored to take away my lifen by the hand of the priest of Elkenah. The priest of Elkenah was also the priest of Pharaoh.o
8. Now, at this time it was the custom of the priest of Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, to offer up upon the altar which was built in the land of Chaldea, for the offering unto these strange gods, men, women, and children.
9. And it came to pass that the____________________
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: The Pearl of Great Price:A Selection from the Revelations, Translations, and Narrations of Joseph Smith, First Prophet, Seer and Revelator to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from 8 to 13 September 1980. Contributors: George Albert Smith - Author. Publisher: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints. Place of publication: Salt Lake City. Publication year: 1952. Page number: 29.