NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
GLEN A. GILDEMEISTER
Swen Parson Hall DeKalb, IL 60115 (815) 753-1779
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY'S Earl W. Hayter Regional History Center serves as the university's archives, as the Illinois Regional Archives Depository for northern Illinois, and as a center for manuscript collections documenting the region's history. Established in 1964, the unit was headed for fifteen years by J. Joseph Bauxar as university archivist. In 1976, it became part of the Illinois State Archives' network for preserving local government records, and in 1978, it was expanded into the Regional History Center, collecting not only official records but also manuscript sources for northern Illinois history.
The University Archives contains the institution's records since 1895. An important source for the history of higher education in Illinois, this collection is described in the Center's "Archives Guide for Northern Illinois University" ( 1985). The faculty series includes the papers of Earl W. Hayter (18 ln.ft., 1924-74), an agricultural historian who came to the university in 1936 and was instrumental in creating its archives. The Center was named in his honor in 1984.
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: A Guide to the History of Illinois. Contributors: John Hoffmann - Editor. Publisher: Greenwood Press. Place of publication: New York. Publication year: 1991. Page number: 283.