Action Art 1909-1952: The Antecedents; Futurism, Dada, Cubism, Russian Performance, the Bauhaus and Black Mountain College
1. Egbert Donald Drew. Social Radicalism and the Arts, Western Europe: A Cultural History from the French Revolution to 1968. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1970. 821p.
2. "Event arts and art events", ed. Stephen C. Foster. Ann Arbor, MI; London: UMI Research, 1988. 304p. (Studies in the fine arts. The avant-garde; 57)
3. Goldberg RoseLee. Performance Art: from futurism to the present. Rev. and enl. ed. London: Thames and Hudson, 1988. 216p. Revised edition of: Performance. 1979.
4. Kirby E. T. Total Theatre: A Critical Anthology. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1969. 280p.
5. Labelle-Rojoux Arnaud. L'Acte pour l'Art. Paris: Editeurs Evidant, 1988, pp. 15-64. Survey of pre-WWII developments in European artist's performance--Futurism, Dada, Russian Constructivism, and Bauhaus Theatre.
6. Rischbieter Henning, comp. Art and the Stage in the 20th century; painters and sculptors work for the theater. Greenwich, CT: New York Graphic Society, 1968. 306p. Contains sections on Futurist Performance (pp. 68-75), the Russian Constructivists (pp. 128-139), Dada (pp. 164-171) and Oskar Schlemmer (pp. 152-157).
7. Berghaus Gunter. "A Theatre of Image, Sound and Motion: On Synaesthesia and the Idea of a Total Work of Art." Maske und Kothurn, Vol. 32, No. 1-2 ( 1986): 7-28. Total theater/ gesamtkunstwerk--Richard Wagner, Wassily Kandinsky, Enrico Prampolini.
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: Action Art:A Bibliography of Artists' Performance from Futurism to Fluxus and Beyond. Contributors: John Gray - Compiler. Publisher: Greenwood Press. Place of publication: Westport, CT. Publication year: 1993. Page number: 1.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.