, line 10 (cf. p. 116). Only one "beehive" construction has
been found at Eleusis; and that is probably a reservoir of post-Mycenaean date.
, line 10. For 20 read two.
Dr. Dörpfeld no longer holds the view here expressed, as
the borings in question have been shown not to be ancient.
The latest excavations prove that the wall of Mycenae was
not notably stronger on the N. and S. than elsewhere, and nowhere of
the thickness (46 feet) estimated by Schuchhardt.
, line 6. Strike out the words "cut in the rock or."
, bottom. By an oversight, the drawing mentioned in the
text has been omitted.
Three more beehive tombs have recently come to light
in Northern Greece. One of these, at Goura in Phthiotis, was discovered
in April or May (1896) by lime-burners, and promptly converted into a
lime-kiln. It resembled the tomb at Demini, was closed by a great
oblong stone, and yielded various gold and silver ornaments as well as
finely painted vases. If we can trust the report in the ̓+́Aστυ, there were
also terra-cotta whorls bearing hieroglyphics and designs like those found
by Schliemann at Troy. The other two beehive tembs are on the southern slopes of Ossa (northeast of Larissa). They are small (3½ to 5½ m.
in diameter), but conform to the strict type, being built up of stone and
opening by door and dromos. They contained little except pottery, and
that comparatively late, judging from the decorations, though there are
forms which recall the prehistoric Island types, and one vase with a beak
spout much like those from Grave VI. ( Ath. Mitth., 1896, p. 246.)
A ninth tholos has since been found at Mycenae. Of the
tombs at tho Heraion but one is a tholos, the other two -- found by the
American School -- are chamber-tombs.
Pour of the nine beehive tombs at Mycenae had each two
or three pit-graves dug within the rotunda. Up to December, 1896, the
chamber-tombs discovered at Mycenae numbered 99.
, line 18. For App. D read App. C.
, top. This stele has now been cleansed, drawn by M. Gilliéron, and published by Dr. Tsountas in the "Ephemeris Archaiologike"
( 1895, Plates 1 and 2). It proves to be a work of singular interest.
Originally a sculptured tombstone, it was afterwards plastered over and