Mr. Frank Ruberto (Revere, MA), Prof. Matilde Vicentini-Missoni ( Rome), Prof. Clotilde Pontecorvo ( Rome), Prof. Aldo Visalberghi ( Rome), Präsident Hermann Schnell ( Vienna), Frau Landesschulinspektor Dr. Erna Janisch ( Vienna), Herr Bezirksschulinspektor Alfred Prosl ( Vienna), Dr. Reuben Pierce ( Washington, D.C.), and Mrs. Maxine Broderick (Westwood, MA). We should also like to thank Dr. Marilyn Appel, Mr. Thomas Baker, Prof. Robert Fuller, Miss Barbara Karplus, Mr. Paul Andrew Karplus, Mrs. Marilyn Krupsaw, and Mrs. Kerstin Waern for helping us adminster the tasks. Discussions with Dr. Warren Wollman contributed to our formulation of the tasks and Mr. Joseph Walker furnished some of the equipment. Drs. Björn Andersson, H. Bleichroth, Anton Lawson, and Warren Wollman made enlightening comments on our manuscript. In addition to ackknowledging the professional assistance to our project, we express our deep appreciation for the hospitality, friendliness, and interest with which we were received everywhere.
We are grateful for the hospitality of the Division for Study and Research in Education at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where we began this investigation. A fellowship from the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation helped defray the costs of the research.
1. Inhelder, B. and Piaget, J. The Growth of Logical Thinking from Childhood to Adolescence. New York: Basic Books, Inc., 1958.
2. Lunzer, E. A. and Pumfrey, P. D. "Understanding Proportionality." Mathematics Teaching, 34, pp 7-12, 1966.
3. Lovell, K. and Butterworth, I. B. "Abilities Underlying the Understanding of Proportionality." Mathematics Teaching, 37, pp 5-9, 1966.
4. Lovell, K. "Proportionality and Probability." In Piagetian Cognitive Development Research and Education, edited by M. F. Rosskopf, L. P. Steffe, and S. Taback, Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1971.
5. Lovell, K. "A Follow-Up Study of Inhelder and Piaget's 'The Growth of Logical Thinking'." British Journal of Psychology 52( 2), pp 143-153, 1961.
6. Kohlberg, L. and Gilligan, C. "The Adolescent as a Philosopher: The Discovery of the Self in a Postconventional World." Daedalus, 100, Fall 1971, pp 1051-1084.
7. Karplus, R., Karplus, E., and Wollman, W. "Intellectual Development Beyond Elementary School IV: Ratio, The Influence of Cognitive Style." School Science and Mathematics, 74, Oct 1974, pp 476-482.
8. Wollman, W. "Intellectual Development Beyond Elementary School V: Using Ratio in Differing Tasks." School Science and Mathematics, 74, Nov 1974, pp 593-611.
9. Wollman, W. "Controlling Variables: Assessing Levels of Understanding."
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: Cognitive Process Instruction:Research on Teaching Thinking Skills. Contributors: Jack Lochhead - Editor, John Clement - Editor. Publisher: Franklin Institute Press. Place of publication: Philadelphia. Publication year: 1979. Page number: 97.