ugliness Ugliness is the guardian of women. Rec. dist.: Ill.
SEE ALSO BEAUTY is loved without knowing anything, ugliness hated without being to blame.
ugly1. An ugly baby makes a beautiful adult. Rec. dist.: N.C.
2. An ugly man never gets a pretty wife. Rec. dist.: N.C.
3. An ugly woman dreads the mirror. Rec. dist.: Ill.
4. If all the world were ugly, deformity would be no monster. Rec. dist.: Ill.
5. If you despise that which is ugly, you do not know that which is beautiful. Rec. dist.: Ill.
6. No woman is ugly if she is well dressed. Rec. dist.: Ill.
7. The ugliest woman can look in the mirror and think she is beautiful. Rec. dist.: N.C.
8. Ugly is to the bone; beauty lasts only a day. Ugly holds its own--you never can tell. Rec. dist.: N.Y., Wis.1st cit.: 1881 Evans, Leicestershire Words.20c. coll.: Stevenson 140:5.
SEE ALSO Old woman's GOLD is not ugly. / There are not ugly LOVES, nor handsome prisons. / Nobody's SWEETHEART is ugly.
ulcer An ulcer and a bird do not choose where to appear. Rec. dist.: Ill.
umbrage Umbrage should never be taken where offense is not intended. Rec. dist.: Mich.
umbrella1. If you leave your umbrella at home, it is sure to rain. Rec. dist.: Mich., N.Y., S.C.1st cit.:US1907 Burgess, Are You a Bromide?20c. coll.: Stevenson 2405: 10.
2. The umbrella goes up when the rain comes down. Rec. dist.: Ont.
3. Two under an umbrella makes the third a wet fellow. Rec. dist.: Fla.
SEE ALSO COMPROMISE makes a good umbrella but a poor roof. / A WISE man always carries his umbrella.
un-American SEE IMPOSSIBLE is un-American.
unanimity Unanimity makes humble help strong. Rec. dist.: N.Y.
unbelievingSEE BELIEVING has a core of unbelieving.
unbestowedSEE The worst STORE is a maid unbestowed.
unbiddenSEE An unbidden GUEST knows not where to sit.
unborn A boy is better unborn than untaught. Vars.:(a) Better be unborn than unbred. (b) Better be unborn than untaught, for ignorance is the root of misfortune. Rec. dist.: U.S., Can.1st cit.:ca 1275 Proverbs of Alfred, ed. Skeat; US1933 Phillpotts, Captain's Curio. 20c. coll.: ODEP56, Whiting ( MP) 656, Stevenson 2286:6.
uncalledSEE OLD age comes uncalled.
uncertainSEE Where the LAW is uncertain there is no law.
uncertaintySEE POVERTY with security is better than plenty in the midst of fear and uncertainty.
unchaste1. The unchaste woman can never become chaste again. Rec. dist.: Ill.
2. The unchaste woman will hesitate at no wickedness. Rec. dist.: Ill.
underSEE There is nothing NEW under the sun.
underdoneSEE OVERDONE is worse than underdone.
understand1. A man doesn't learn to understand anything unless he loves it. Rec. dist.: Ont.
2. A person should not meddle with what he does not understand. Rec. dist.: Ont.
3. He that understands amiss, concludes worse. Rec. dist.: Mich.
4. He who understands most is the other men's master. Rec. dist.: Wis.