A bel Linares' death in October 1930 left a vacuum in the promotional area of professional Cuban baseball that was filled mainly by Julio Blanco Herrera and Alejandro Pompez, aided by the likes of Tinti Molina and Emilio de Armas. Their operations, together with Colonel Jaime Mariné's Dirección General Nacional de Deportes, aided by a recovery of the Cuban economy from the middle thirties to the early forties, brought the Cuban League out of the doldrums into which it had sunk during the last years of Machado's regime and the Depression. It was a very slow revival, culminating with wartime seasons that led to a revamping of the league, the move from La Tropical to the Gran Stadium, and the thrilling 1946- 47 season.
Toward the end of this period of roughly fifteen years, from about 1930 to 1945, there emerged new entrepreneurs, such as Roberto (Bobby) Maduro, Miguel (Miguelito) Suárez, Dr. July Sanguily, Mario Mendoza, Eloy García, and Alfredo Pequeño, who bought franchises, brought about the construction of the new stadium, and ushered Cuba into Organized Baseball by creating the Havana Cubans of the Florida International League. They succeeded Blanco Herrera and Pompez, moving the Cuban League away from reliance on old Cuban money, close ties with the Negro circuits and the Mexican League, and into the protectorate of Organized