|1.||A basis for profile charts, indicating areas of strength and weakness for the individual student.|
|2.||A basis for scheduling technique classes according to student needs.|
|3.||An indication of the students' ability to retain information and make applications.|
|4.||Measurement of students' progress by administering the tests before and after the instructional unit.|
Hennis has constructed a group of knowledge tests for badminton, basketball, bowling, field hockey, softball, tennis, and volleyball which are suitable for use With the women's instructional program.6 All tests consist of four-choice multiple-choice type of items. A survey of course content was made preliminary to construction of the seven knowledge tests. Of the 117 colleges and universities surveyed, ninety-seven returned the check lists. The number of students taking the examinations was from 208 in softball to 2291 in tennis. Reliability of the tests ranged from .72 for badminton to .81 for softball. Percentile norms have been devised for each of the seven tests; and any qualified instructor may obtain information concerning the tests from the author at Woman's College of the University of North Carolina in Greensboro.
1. Broer, Marion, and Miller, Donna Mae: "Achievement Tests for Beginning and Intermediate Tennis". Research Quart., 21:303-313, 1950.
2. Dietz, Dorthea, and Frech, Beryl: "Hockey Knowledge Test for Girls". J. A. A. Health, Phys. Educ. & Recreation, 11:366, 1940.
3. Fox, Katharine: "Beginning Badminton Written Examination". Research Quart., 24:135-146, 1953.
4. French, Esther: "The Construction of Knowledge Tests in Selected Professional Courses in Physical Education". Research Quart., 14:406-424, 1943.
5. Hawkes, Herbert E., Lindquist, E. F., and Mann, C. R.: The Construction and Use of Achievement Examinations. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1936, p. 150.
6. Hennis, Gail M.: "Construction of Knowledge Tests in Selected Physical Education Activities for College Women". Research Quart., 27:301-309, 1956.
7. Kelly, Ellen Davis, and Brown, Jane E.: "The Construction of a Field Hockey Test for Women Physical Education Majors". Research Quart., 23:233-239, 1952.
8. Langston, Dewey F.: "Standardization of a Volleyball Knowledge Test for College Men Physical Education Majors". Research Quart., 26:60-68, 1955.
9. Lindquist, E. F. (Editor): Educational Measurement. Washington, D. C., American Council on Education, 1951, p. 186.
10. Miller, Wilma K.: "Achievement Levels in Tennis Knowledge and Skill for Women Physical Education Major Students". Research Quart., 24:81-90, 1953.
11. Phillips, Marjorie: "Standardization of a Badminton Knowledge Test for College Women". Research Quart., 17:48-63, 1946.
Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Book title: Measurement in Physical Education. Edition: 4th. Contributors: Donald K. Mathews - Author, Nancy Allison Close - Illustrator. Publisher: W. B. Saunders. Place of publication: Philadelphia. Publication year: 1973. Page number: 372.
This material is protected by copyright and, with the exception of fair use, may not be further copied, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means.