1. Lewis Thomas, "The Technology of Medicine," The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher ( New York: Viking, 1974), 35-42.
2. Robert M. Blaese, et al., "Treatment Of Severe Combined Immunodeficiency Disease (SCID) Due To Adenosine Deaminase Deficiency with CD34+ Selected Autologous Peripheral Blood Cells Transduced with a Human ADA Gene," Human Gene Therapy 4 ( 1993): 521-27.
3. Edward H. Oldfield, et al., "Gene Therapy for the Treatment of Brain Tumors Using Intratumoral Transduction with the Thymidine Kinase Gene and Intravenous Ganciclovir," Human Gene Therapy 4 ( 1993): 39-69.
4. Philip Leder, David A. Clayton, and E. Rubenstein, eds., Introduction to Molecular Medicine, ( New York: Scientific American Books, Inc., 1994); James D. Watson , John Tooze, and David T. Kurtz, Recombinant DNA: A Short Course, ( New York: Scientific American Books, Inc., 1983); D. J. Weatherall, The New Genetics and Clinical Practice, ( New York: Oxford University Press, 1991).
5. Institute of Medicine, Committee on Assessing Genetic Risks, Assessing Genetic Risks: Implications for Health and Social Policy ( Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1994), 21-22.
6. United States Congress, Office of Technology Assessment, Mapping Our Genes-The Genome Project: How Big, How Fast? OTA-BA-373 ( Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1988).
7. R. Lipkin, "The Quest to Break Human Genetic Code," Insight ( Dec/ Jan 1991): 46-48.
8. James F. Gusella, et al., "A Polymorphic DNA Marker Genetically Linked to Huntington's Disease," Nature 306 ( 1983): 234.
9. The Huntington's Disease Collaborative Research Group, "Novel Gene Containing a Trinucleotide Repeat That Is Expanded and Unstable on Huntington's Disease Chromosomes," Cell 72 ( 1993): 971.
10. Eliot Marshall, "A Strategy for Sequencing the Genome 5 Years Early," Science 267 ( 1995): 783-784.
HUMAN GENETIC TECHNOLOGY
1. Jean L. Marx, "Gene Signals Relapse of Breasts, Ovarian Cancers," Science244 ( 1989): 654-55.
2. Karin L. McGowan, "Infectious Diseases: Diagnosis Utilizing DNA Probes," Clinical Pediatrics 28 ( 1989): 157-62.