Speaking Their Language; in Association with Fish4jobs Careers in Communication Support If You Are Interested in Helping Deaf Students Then a Career in Communication Support May Appeal. Michelle Rushton Learns That Actions Can Speak Louder Than Words

Article excerpt

Byline: Michelle Rushton

What does a career in communication support involve?

Communication support workers (CSWs) work in schools and colleges helping deaf students to communicate with their teachers or tutors and other students on the course. They use methods such as interpreting between spoken English and British Sign Language (BSL), and lipspeaking.

Working alongside other professionals, such as teachers and interpreters, communication support workers provide support for students by helping them understand and produce written material, adapting the language of learning materials so that students understand them more easily, taking notes in class and suggesting ways that the school or college environment can be improved to make it easier for students to use hearing aids or lipread.

What personal skills do you need?

You need to have excellent communication skills in spoken and written English BSL, as well as being computer literate. You must work effectively with learners, tutors, lecturers and other professionals and be willing to carry out research. It is important that you are aware of and understand deaf culture and educational issues.

What training do you need?

You can gain the Edexcel Professional Development Award in Communication Support Work with Deaf Learners which you can study over one year, part-time.

To get onto this course, it helps if you have the CACDP Stage 2 Certificate in British Sign Language and relevant experience of working with deaf people. …