Get Benefits What Immigrants Should Know about Social Security Numbers Getting a Social Security Card If You Are a Noncitizen

Article excerpt

Byline: Mayra Salazar Public Affairs Specialist, Social Security

Whether you are a new U.S. citizen or a noncitizen with authorization to work in this country, you need to apply for a Social Security card and number in order to work in the United States.

While most American citizens now have Social Security cards issued at birth, a noncitizen applying for his or her first Social Security card or number must prove identity, age and citizenship.

Getting a Social Security card if you are a naturalized citizen

If you are a naturalized citizen you will need to prove your citizenship with documentation from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly Immigration and Naturalization Service).

You also must complete an application for a Social Security card, which you can find online at You can bring your completed application into your local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center along with official documents that show:

* U.S. citizenship;

* Age; and

* Identity.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Even if you already have a Social Security number when you become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you should still contact Social Security to update your status. …