Judge Refuses to Lower Bail for Bomb Maker Suspect

Article excerpt

Byline: James Kimberly Daily Herald Legal Affairs Writer

Citing a concern for public safety, a Kane County judge on Friday refused to lower the $1 million bail set for a South Elgin man accused of trying to make pipe bombs in his kitchen.

Judge Philip DiMarzio's decision means that Bruce Rumery, 35, 917 Kane St., will have to come up with $100,000 - 10 percent of his bail - to be released from custody prior to his trial.

"One of the purposes of bail is to ensure the safety of the community. Given the testimony I have heard and the factors involved I will deny the motion (to reduce bail)," DiMarzio said.

Rumery had asked that his bail be cut to $20,000 so he could return home. He told the judge that his job as a driver for a Carol Stream trucking company is in jeopardy.

Rumery's attorney, Michael Hart, called the $1 million bail excessive. Rumery was arrested last week on felony charges relating to the possession of or the attempted possession of explosives.

"It wouldn't be excessive in the situation of the World Trade Center, but that's not the situation here. No one was injured, no property was damaged except Mr. Rumery's," Hart said. "What we have here is a 35-year-old male who has a stable living condition, who burned himself in his kitchen and now finds himself in jail with a $1 million bail."

South Elgin police began investigating Rumery July 24. …