Benjamin Rose's Legacy

Article excerpt

Cleveland industrialist Benjamin Rose founded the nonsectarian organization that bears his name in 1908. Rose, who earned his fortune in meat packing, established the organization to provide financial aid to older people, especially women. The nonprofit developed three group homes for low-income elders in the 1940s. Now respected as a national leader in chronic care, the agency opened The Benjamin Rose Hospital in 1953, through a partnership with University Hospitals. It was one of the first elder-specific rehabilitative hospitals in the country.

In 1961, the people living in the three residential homes were moved into Margaret Wagner House, the organization's first nursing home, which served as a model demonstrating how homelike care could be provided in an institutional setting. In 1997, the agency dedicated Alice Kethley House, which replaced Wagner House as the agency's skilled nursing home and includes an adult daycare program.

The Wagner House building now includes the Benjamin Rose Community Services Division, which makes nearly 6,000 visits a year to older adults throughout Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in their homes and at other sites in the community, such as senior centers. …