Intel File

Article excerpt

Latest Naval & Maritime Happenings Around the World

USS IOWA GETS A NEW ADDRESS: SAN PEDRO, CALIFORNIA

As we go to press, the USS Iowa is preparing for her tow from San Francisco to San Pedro Harbor, her new Los Angeles home.

Firing its 16-in guns in the Arabian Sea, the USS Iowa shuddered. As the sky turned orange, a blast of heat from the massive guns washed over the battleship. This was the Iowa of the late-1980s, at the end of its active duty as it escorted reflagged Kuwaiti oil tankers from the Persian Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz during the Iran-Iraq war.

Some 25-yrs later, following years of aging in the San Francisco Bay Area's "mothball fleet," the 887-ftlong ship that once carried President Franklin Roosevelt to a WWII summit to meet with Churchill and Stalin is coming to life once again as it is being prepared for what is most likely its final voyage.

Not far from where "Rosie the Riveters" built ships in the 1940s at the Port of Richmond, the 59,000ton battlewagon has undergone restoration for towing in later May through the Golden Gate, then several hundred-miles south to the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. There, it is to be transformed into an interactive Naval museum.

On 1 May, ownership of the Iowa was officially transferred from the Navy to the Pacific Battleship Center, the nonprofit organization that has been restoring the boat for its new mission.

"This means everything - it's going to be saved," John Wolfinbarger, 87, of San Martin, who served aboard the USS Iowa for almost two-years in the mid- 1940s and recently began giving public tours of the old ship during repairs here.

"When it gets down to San Pedro, it's going to be the happiest day of my life, like coming home," he said, watching the mast being reattached.

For the past decade, the lead ship of her battleship class known as "The Big Stick" has sat in the cold and fog, anchored with other mothballed ships in nearby Suisun Bay. This spring, workers began scrubbing and painting the Iowa's exterior, replacing the teak deck and reattaching the mast in preparation for the museum commissioning on 4 July.

Jonathan Williams, executive officer of Pacific Battleship Group, has been overseeing the project, which will exceed $4 million upon completion. Williams credited his dedicated staff and volunteers, along with the financial contributions from the state of Iowa, for making the restoration possible.

"The Navy, MARAD [United States Maritime Administration] and the crew that mothballed the battleship over the past 22-yrs did an excellent job and kept the heart and soul of Iowa alive," said Williams.

"Things are on track and we are following our schedule as planned," he added. "We are trying to make sure nothing is missed as the process is complex."

The fast Iowa-class battleships, ordered by the Navy in 1939 and 1940, could travel at a speed of 33kts. The Iowa, first commissioned in 1943 and again in 1951 and 1984, saw duty in World War II and the Korean War. It took part in escorting tankers in the Persian Gulf during the Iran-Iraq war before being decommissioned in 1990.

During World War II, when transferred to the Pacific Fleet in 1944, the ship shelled beachheads at Kwajalein and Eniwetok in advance of Allied amphibious landings and screened aircraft carriers operating in the Marshall Islands.

It was one of two ships of its class camouflaged during World War II and it also was the only one with a bathtub, which was put in for President Roosevelt. The Iowa also served as the Third Fleet flagship, flying Adm. William F. Halse/s flag as it accompanied the Missouri at the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay.

A dark part of the ship's history took place in 1989, when 47 sailors were killed in an explosion in the No. 2 gun turret. After the blast, the Navy alleged a crew member caused the explosion as a result of a failed relationship with another male crew member. …