G. Stanley Hall: A Sketch

G. Stanley Hall: A Sketch

Read FREE!

G. Stanley Hall: A Sketch

G. Stanley Hall: A Sketch

Read FREE!

Excerpt

1846-1863

The town of Ashfield, in Franklin county, Massa chusetts, is described in John Warner Barber's Historical Collections (Worcester, 1839) as "a little over six miles square. The face of the township is uneven and hilly, better adapted for grazing than tillage. There is, however, much good tillage land interspersed among the hills. The principal productions are corn, potatoes, oats, and of late, wheat. Some of the farmers have large dairies. In 1837, there were in this town 8,021 merino sheep, which produced 24,063 lbs. of wool. There are four churches, two for Baptists, one Congregational and one Episcopal. The central village consists of about twenty dwelling-houses, an Episcopal church, an academy, and a number of mercantile stores. Distance, 18 miles from Greenfield, 18 miles from Northampton, and 105 to Boston. Population of the town, 1,656."

At one time it was one of the largest towns in the western part of the state and distinctly ahead of Springfield, Northampton, Greenfield or Pittsfield. It reached its highest point in population in 1810, when it had 1,809 souls. From that time the population has gradually, but steadily, fallen until, in 1910, it numbered only 959.

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.