Academic journal article Oregon Historical Quarterly

Lincoln County Historical Society

Academic journal article Oregon Historical Quarterly

Lincoln County Historical Society

Article excerpt

Lincoln County Historical Society

545 Southwest 9th Street

Newport, OR 97365

Phone 541-265-7509

OHS Affiliate since 1950

THE LINCOLN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY was formed in 1948 to preserve and tell the history of Oregon's central coastal region. The cities around Yaquina Bay and the Yaquina River were formed by soldiers and workers who staked claims on the former Coast (Siletz) Reservation, fur traders from the north, men who had come with shipping companies to harvest a rare oyster, and families from nearby Corvallis. In 1893, Lincoln County was formed from portions of Benton and Tillamook counties. About the same time, federal allotment policies led to the transfer of lands from Indian ownership, and towns developed in the far north and south of the county. Changing exhibits in the museums of the Lincoln County Historical Society tell the story of people living in a maritime environment, the development of an economic base of tourism, fishing, and logging, and the gradual transfer of land from the Coast Reservation to non-Indian ownership and settlement.

One of the society's first major projects was saving the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse from demolition. In 1964, the society established a museum in the lighthouse. In the 1970s, the building was returned to the state, which continues to maintain it as an interpretive site.

The historical society opened another museum, the Log Cabin, in 1964. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.