Academic journal article T H E Journal (Technological Horizons In Education)

CEP: 90% of Title I Districts to See Flat or Decreased Funding: A New Report Says DoE Statistics Don't Fully Reveal Impact of Reductions in 2006-2007 NCLB Appropriations

Academic journal article T H E Journal (Technological Horizons In Education)

CEP: 90% of Title I Districts to See Flat or Decreased Funding: A New Report Says DoE Statistics Don't Fully Reveal Impact of Reductions in 2006-2007 NCLB Appropriations

Article excerpt

THE CENTER ON EDUCATION POLICY (www.cep-dc.org), a public-education advocacy group, has released a study outlining the effect of dwindling No Child Left Behind appropriations on school districts receiving Title I funding, which is meant to help children in high-poverty schools meet state academic standards.

The CEP report, "Title I Funds--Who's Gaining and Who's Losing," explains that US PLUSSES AND MINUSES The 10 biggest Title I funding gainers and losers for 2006-2007. Department of Education (www.ed.gov) statistics, which show that 38 percent of Title I districts will receive funding increases in 2006-2007, don't account for the mandatory 4 percent of Title I funds that states must reserve for schools identified as "needing improvements." Per NCLB, states can only draw that 4 percent from districts set to receive funding boosts. Once that money is factored in, only 10 percent of the 4,939 Title I districts will see more money this year; the other 90 percent will have their funds frozen at last year's level or receive less.

What makes the 4 percent reservation requirement so burdensome on Title I districts is the leveling off of Title I funding. According to the CEP, the $12.7 billion appropriation for Title I, Part A grants in 2006-2007 falls slightly short ($26 million, or 0.21 percent) of the sum the program received last year, continuing a downward trend. Annual funding increases rose considerably at the advent of NCLB but have declined since 2003, and with the $26 million falloff this year, have been reversed entirely. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.