Academic journal article The Technology Teacher
ITEA Board of Directors Meets in Charlotte
ITEA's Board of Directors met November 15-16, 2008 in Charlotte, NC, the site of the 2010 ITEA International Conference. The Board members participated in ITEA's Technology Education Advisory Council (TEAC) meeting that preceded the board meeting.
The Board addressed major issues believed to be important to the profession through Strategic Issue Discussions that are proposed and considered by Board members. Each issue is defined, its strategic nature is considered, Board action is identified, and discussion of the implications of the issue or action is requested. The strategic issues and sponsoring Board members are as follows:
* What is ITEA's stance as an association on the relationship of the "T & E" of STEM? (Michael Fitzgerald, DTE)
* What do nonmembers want from our association? (Peter Wright and Ginger Whiting)
* What techniques can we employ for increasing association membership? (Patrick McDonald)
* What product could we produce that everyone in our field would want? (Steve Meyer and Doug Miller)
A summary of the discussion points and Board minutes may be reviewed electronically in the Members Only area of the ITEA website. Motions passed pertaining to the strategic action items were:
* A team was convened to write a proclamation statement clarifying ITEA's stance and claim to the "T & E" in STEM, to be completed in time to use and disseminate during the annual conference in Louisville, March 2009.
* A task force was created to investigate the feasibility of webinars to be offered through ITEA to measure interest in and usability of webinars as a professional development product.
* A task force was created to investigate developing a partnership with a company or other organization to promote a Green Design Challenge that will include and highlight student work at the annual ITEA (2010) Conference. …