Academic journal article Christianity and Literature
The 2013 Southwest Regional Meeting Will Be Held September 20-21, 2013, at Houston Baptist University in Houston, Texas
The 2013 Southwest Regional Meeting will be held September 20-21, 2013, at Houston Baptist University in Houston, Texas. The theme will be "'Love that Moves the Sun and Other Stars': Exploring the Virtues in Literature."
Proposals: We welcome both individual paper abstracts and session proposals relevant to the conference theme. Please send paper abstracts (no more than 200 words) and/or session proposals by April 1, 2013 to the Conference Chair, Dr. Holly Ordway, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the classical period to today, the virtues have served as a means of self-examination, a guide for self-reflection, a pattern for living a good life, and an inspiration for literary composition. For Christians, the virtues have the added dimension of being rooted in the revelation of God's character. This re-orientation of the understanding of virtue means that pursuing virtue can be a spiritual discipline as well as a form of witness.
Literature provides a powerful means of reflecting on what virtue is, how the expression of particular virtues shapes actions and character, and what a virtuous life looks like in various times, places, and cultures.
This conference invites papers that consider literary approaches to one or more of the theological virtues (faith, hope, and love) and the cardinal virtues (justice, wisdom, temperance, and courage). Possible sub-topics include:
* The representation in literature of specific virtues and/or their corresponding vices
* Particular virtues considered in both non-Christian and Christian literature
* Realistic, allegorical, symbolic, and mythopoeic approaches to presenting the virtues in literature
* How literature can 'embody' virtue (or vice)
* Considerations of Aristotelian, Thomistic, or Platonic representations of virtue as expressed in literary works
* Virtues as represented in Biblical literature
* Virtue as a topic for literary apologetics
* Original poetry
* and other papers dealing with the conference theme
Keynote Speaker: Dr. …