Academic journal article Notes

The Manuscripts Division of Rare Books and Special Collections at Princeton University Library

Academic journal article Notes

The Manuscripts Division of Rare Books and Special Collections at Princeton University Library

Article excerpt

The Manuscripts Division of Rare Books and Special Collections at Princeton University Library has acquired three post-Byzantine Greek music manuscripts in memory of Professor Kenneth Levy (1927-2013), *49 *55, Scheide Professor of Music History. The library purchased them with matching funds provided by the Program in Hellenic Studies, with the support of the Stanley J. Seeger Hellenic Fund. Professor Levy was a distinguished music historian whose wide academic interests ranged from early Christian and Byzantine music to Western medieval and Renaissance music. He joined the faculty of Princeton in 1966 and twice served as chair of the Music Department (1967-70, 1988). Among his many publications are Music, A Listener's Introduction (1983) and Gregorian Chant and the Carolingians (1998).

The three manuscripts are a Heirmologion (1764), an Anthologia (late eighteenth or early nineteenth century), and a Doxastika (early nineteenth century), volumes of Greek sacred chant and hymns with musical notation in late Byzantine neumes, intended for use in the Greek Orthodox Church. These manuscripts show continuity and change in Greek church music during the centuries that followed the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks in 1453. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.