Academic journal article Manitoba History

The Alloway Arch at the Forks

Academic journal article Manitoba History

The Alloway Arch at the Forks

Article excerpt

On a sunny September afternoon this fall, a remarkable piece of Winnipeg's history was revealed. The Alloway Arch, named for philanthropist and banker William Forbes Alloway whose initial gift launched the Winnipeg Foundation in 1921, was formally dedicated at a ceremony at The Forks.

The Winnipeg Foundation has grown to become a bedrock of philanthropy in this province. As Canada's first community foundation, the Winnipeg Foundation pools and invests gifts entrusted to it to generate grants that benefit a variety of local charitable needs. These would include some of the most creative, hard-working and dedicated organizations contributing to the fabric of life in our province. Since 1921, the Winnipeg Foundation has distributed more than $365 million to our community. Their mission is encapsulated in the phrase 'For Good. Forever.'

The Alloway Arch and accompanying pool are located at The Forks near the doors of Union Station, and in an axis with the dome of the station where so many people first arrived in the province. Tall and made of stone, the Arch is built from the facade of the former Alloway and Champion Bank which stood for decades at 362 Main Street. It represents the banker's investment in our community while the nearby fountain represents the pooling of gifts made by people from all walks of life; together, they represent a noble ideology of public spirit. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.