Academic journal article et Cetera
Time has no divisions to mark its passage; there is never a thunderstorm or blare of trumpets to announce the beginning of a new month or year. Even when a new century begins it is only we mortals who ring bells and fire off pistols.
- Thomas Mann, novelist, Nobel laureate (1875-1955)
Upon the cunning loom of thought / We weave our fancies, so and so.
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich 1836-1907, American novelist
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.... Original thoughts can be understood only in virtue of the unoriginal elements which they contain.
- Vittorio Alfieri 1749-1803, Italian poet
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
- Buddha ~563-483 BCE, Indian mystic and spiritual leader
All thought is a feat of association; having what's in front of you bring up something in your mind that you almost didn't know you knew.
- Robert Frost 1874-1963, American Poet Laureate
Words are tools which automatically carve concepts out of experience.
- Julian Huxley 1887-1975, British biologist and author
The safest words are always those which bring us most directly to facts.
- Charles Henry Parkhurst 1842-1933, American clergyman and reformer
The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange protein; it rejects it. …