1. The Eleventh Meeting of the Canada-ASEAN Joint Cooperation Committee (JCC) was held on 6-7 May 1997 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The Canadian Delegation was led by Mr Marc-Andre Brault, Assistant Deputy Minister (Asia Pacific and Africa), Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT). Mrs Ingrid Hall, Director General, South and Southeast Asia Bureau, DFAIT, co-chaired the Meeting with Dato' Abdul Majid Ahmad Khan, Director-General, ASEAN-Malaysia, who was the spokesman for the ASEAN Delegation.
2. On the occasion of the Twentieth Anniversary of the Canada-ASEAN Dialogue, the Meeting reviewed progress in the dialogue relationship, exchanged views on the forthcoming Denver Summit and the Vancouver APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting, and on developments in ASEAN, ASEM, and the ASEAN Mekong Basin Development Cooperation and discussed measures to expand trade and investment linkages as well as development cooperation between ASEAN and Canada.
3. The Meeting was opened by Mr Marc-Andre Brault who in his opening statement drew attention to the fact that the ASEAN-Canada Business Council and the ASEAN ISIS Canada Bilateral were also meeting in Montreal simultaneously with the JCC to mark the Twentieth Anniversary of the CanadaASEAN Dialogue. Mr Brault also noted that Canada had designated 1997 as Canada's Year of Asia Pacific to coincide with Canada's Chairmanship of APEC.
4. Dato Abdul Majid Ahmad Khan, in his opening statement, remarked on Canada's positive contribution to the Canada-ASEAN Cooperative Dialogue. He also outlined the progress made in the ASEAN economic cooperation since the lOth JCC Meeting. He called for a higher and more visible Canadian presence in the ASEAN region, further promotion of 2-way trade through greater trade facilitation and the strengthening of Canada-ASEAN development cooperation programmes.
5. The Meeting noted with satisfaction the growth of Canada-ASEAN trade and investment flows over the past twenty years. Bilateral trade grew from $508 million in 1977 to $7.9 billion in 1996, making ASEAN Canada's sixth largest export market in 1996 and fifth largest source of imports. The Meeting also greeted the success of the Team Canada trade missions to Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand led by the Right Honourable Jean Chretien, Prime Minister of Canada, in 1996 and 1997. The meeting noted that tremendous opportunities still remain for increased trade and investment between Canada and ASEAN.
6. The co-chairs of the ASEAN-Canada Business Council (ACBC) Mr Yves Guerard, President and CEO of Sobeco, Ernst and Young, and Tan Sri Datuk Azizan Zainul Abidin, Chairman, PETRONAS, the Malaysian national petroleum corporation, reported on the success of the ACBC joint meeting held in Montreal, on 4-6 May 1997. …