Academic journal article International Journal of Child Health and Human Development

Mental Health Screening among Adolescents and Young Adults Seeking Medical Care in a Pediatric Emergency Department

Academic journal article International Journal of Child Health and Human Development

Mental Health Screening among Adolescents and Young Adults Seeking Medical Care in a Pediatric Emergency Department

Article excerpt

Background: Previous research suggests that adolescents and young adults who seek care for medical complaints may also be suffering from psychosocial problems. To determine the extent to which mental health issues may accompany physical complaints, a screening tool was developed and administered.

Methods: All verbal patients (≥12 years) examined in an urban, tertiary children's hospital emergency department were asked to complete an 11- item, paper-based mental health screening survey. Questions covered alcohol/drug abuse, traumatic exposure (TE), and behavioral symptoms (BS). Patients answered yes or no to each item (max. possible score=11).

Results: Sample was 992 patients (53.8% F; 46.2% M). Predominant ethnic group was Latino (77.9%). Mean age was 15.1 years (SD=2.1, range 12- 24). Patients with a score≥1 comprised 47.5% of the sample (Mdn score=2, range 1-9); patients with a score=0 comprised the remaining 52.5%. Demographic frequencies were similar between symptomatic (S) and asymptomatic (AS) patients, however, mean age of the S group (M=15.3 years, SD=2.1) was statistically greater than that of the AS group (M=15.0 years, SD=2.1; t(990)=2.11, p=.04). Within the S group, alcohol/drug abuse frequency was 14.2%; TE frequencies: 8.1% touched inappropriately, 7.0% domestic violence, 21.2% physical abuse, 33.5% physical/emotional trauma, 29. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.