Academic journal article International Education Studies

Classroom Management: A Study on the Training Needs of Primary School Teachers

Academic journal article International Education Studies

Classroom Management: A Study on the Training Needs of Primary School Teachers

Article excerpt

Abstract

This study aimed to identify the training needs of the in-service primary school teachers in the city of Benghazi, Libya. Data collection involved the administration of a set of questionnaire to 420 teachers and interviews with ten of them. The study found that the most important training needs of the primary school teachers in terms of classroom management were: (i) training on how to improve students' behavior through the development of codes of conduct for the students at the beginning of the school year, (ii) training on efficient time management to achieve the objectives of the classroom session, and (iii) training on means of modifying the abnormal behavior of the students. Data from the interview revealed some of the methods used by the participants on addressing issues and challenges faced in handling the students. The study supports the importance of organizing classroom management training to in-service primary school teachers to help them manage the classroom effectively.

Keywords: classroom management, training needs, teacher education, teacher training, professional development

1. Introduction

Since teachers are identified to be the cornerstone of any reform or development in educational system, the reform and development in Libya has to start with them in terms of their selection, preparation and training. The philosophy of educational systems and methods cannot lead to the desired development in the absence of highly qualified teachers. As Badri (2006) stated, as far as educational system in Libya is concerned, teachers are at the center of concern in the system. Therefore, some institutions have been established in preparing them to improve and develop the educational process in the country. Teachers are considered as a cornerstone and the most prominent element in the educational process and their interaction in schools will build and accumulate their knowledge, values, attitudes, skills and experience.

Some studies indicated that 60% of the success in all dimensions of the educational process is primarily attributed to the teachers alone, while the combination of other factors including administration, curricula and the school facilities contributed to the rest 40% (Abu Russ, 2011; Enzi, 2007). These studies suggested the importance of teachers' role in producing high quality students. The 2020 report of the Department for Education and Employment, Britain advocated that education can inherit treasures of knowledge to all of us. On the other hand, with the expansive growth in science and technology in the twenty first century, knowledge and skills are considered as the principal keys to success (Al hila, 2002). The outstanding teachers who employ effective teaching methods and approaches are the key to achieve high quality education which is tightly associated with teachers who possess personal, technical and professional skills.

The process of identifying the right training needs of the teachers is regarded as the first step in order to plan suitable programs for school teachers' in-service training, to the extent that it is a necessity for every successful training process. Furthermore, the identification of the teachers' training needs is the optimum means of specifying the extent of knowledge, skills, directions and experiences needed to promote development and raising the professional competency of the teachers.

2. Methods of the Study

This study is based on the following question: What are the in-service training needs of primary school teachers in classroom management? In order to answer the question, this study used the combination of the descriptive approach using a set of questionnaire and the qualitative method through interviews. According to the official records of the Office of Measurement and Evaluation at the Secretariat of Education and Scientific Research, the population of all primary school teachers in the city of Benghazi is 6848. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.