Academic journal article Journal of Management Research

Implementation Analysis of Lecturer's Pedagogical Competence on Student's Academic Achievement

Academic journal article Journal of Management Research

Implementation Analysis of Lecturer's Pedagogical Competence on Student's Academic Achievement

Article excerpt

Abstract

Indonesia Law number 14 of 2005, chapter 4, article 8, regarding teacher/lecturer states that teacher/lecturer must hold an academic qualification, competence, certified, physically and mentally healthy, and able to achieve the national education goals. In this law, competence refers to pedagogical, personality, professional, and social competence. In this research, the researcher studies about the influence of lecturer's competence in improving student's achievement. Student's achievement is measured by using cognitive, affective, and personality factor which are expected to strengthen student's character as independent and intelligent youth. The research was conducted at Faculty of Business and Management of Widyatama University, Bandung, Indonesia. The research uses descriptive and verification method using a type of causality investigation. This research aims at obtaining clarity regarding variable characteristics and causal relationship between the variables. Thus, multivariate regression analysis was used. The research shows that if four lecturer's competencies are applied separately, only pedagogical which significantly influences student's academic achievement. On the other hand, the other competencies which are applied separately don't affect the improvement of student's academic achievement. Meanwhile, when four lecturer's competencies are applied simultaneously in the learning process, it shows a significant effect on student's academic achievement of 32.1%. The remaining 67.9% is influenced by other factors which are not discussed in this study. Conclusion, lecturers should be able to improve their pedagogical competence and other intelligences such as emotional and spiritual intelligence in carrying out the profession as an educator and a teacher who has responsibility for student's successes and strengthening student's character.

Keywords: Indonesia Law No. 14 of 2005, Lecturer's Competencies, Student's Academic Achievement, Multivariate Regression

(ProQuest: ... denotes formula omitted.)

1. Introduction

In general, students expect their teachers/lecturers highly qualified, hold academic qualifications, certified, competent, as well as physically and mentally healthy. Regarding the above, Law of Republic of Indonesia No. 14 of 2005 on the teachers/lecturers is in Chapter 4 of Article 8 already set by stating that teachers/lecturers must have academic qualifications, competencies, must have certificates of educators, physically and mentally healthy, and have the ability to achieve national education goals.

This research will explore further on the implementation of the overall competences of the lecturers as required in the law above. In this study, the author will examine the influence of lecturer competence in improving student achievement. The results of the study will be very beneficial for educators to enhance the ability of their competence in providing educational services for the students and for the advancement of Indonesian national education.

2. Review of Literature and Framework

2.1 Review Literature

Teachers/lecturers competence as referred to in Indonesia Law No. 14 of 2005 on Chapter IV, Article 8, further clarified in article 10, paragraph 1, which states that "the competence of teachers/lecturers includes pedagogical competence, personal competence, social competence, and professional competence acquired through professional education ".

2.1.1 Pedagogical Competence

Pedagogical competence is the ability of understanding of learners, design and implementation of learning, evaluation of learning outcomes, and the development of learners to actualize different potentials. (Sukanti, Sumarsih, Siswanto, & Ani, 2008)

Pedagogical competence includes the sub competence:

1. Understand the characteristics of learners from the physical aspect, social, moral, cultural, emotional, and intellectual.

2. Understand the background of the family and the community of learners and the needs of students in a cultural context. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.