Academic journal article Social Security Bulletin

Social Security in Review

Academic journal article Social Security Bulletin

Social Security in Review

Article excerpt

Request a Social Security Card Via Internet

Need to replace your Social Security card? If you have a personal computer and access to the Internet, you can apply electronically and get your card sooner than in the past.

More than 12 million people each year write, visit, or telephone the Social Security Administration (SSA) to replace a lost card, ask for their name to be changged on a card, or apply for their first card. After they complete the application form and mail it to Social Security, SSA mails the requested card.

Using Internet

Now you can use Social Security's Internet server to get the application form right at your personal computer, shortening the request process by about 2 weeks. You can access the server by direct connection from your PC, or through an online service to which you subscribe, such as CompuServe, America Online, or Prodigy. The form is available both in English and Spanish.

If you connect to the Internet through a web browser, connect to SSA's site at the address Select "forms" from SSA's "home page." Then select "SS-5" or "SS-5-SP" (Spanish version), the electronic versions of the application form. Download the file to your computer.

If you connect to the Internet through anonymous ftp, use the address Change directory to /pub/general(underline)info and download the file "SS-5.PDF", using binary transfer protocol, to get the English version.

To Print the Form

To read and print the form at your personal computer, you'll need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader software, version 2. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.