Academic journal article Anglican and Episcopal History

St. Agnes Chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church in the City of New York. 1892-1943

Academic journal article Anglican and Episcopal History

St. Agnes Chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church in the City of New York. 1892-1943

Article excerpt

FRANCIS J. SYPHER, JR. St. Agnes Chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church in the City of New York. 1892-1943. New York, New York: Parish of Trinity Church in the City of New York, 2002. Pp. 159, forward by the rector, introduction, illustrations, bibliography, index. $20.00.

At first glance, a history of a mission that lasted only a bit more than fifty years seems to be very little upon which to build a volume. What interest could such a short history have? What meaning might its story offer those who never have heard of it?

Francis J. Sypher, Jr.'s St. Agnes Chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church in the City of New York, 1892-1943 is both a modest history and a wonderful case study of the problems of urban church planting. St Agnes began as an attempt by downtown Trinity to meet the needs of its parishioners moving up the isle of Manhattan to the (then, and now again) fashionable Upper West Side. St Agnes was a massive Romanesque chapel of ease that for a while was the largest of Trinity's then numerous chapels. For a time (particularly under the leadership of William Manning, later celebrated bishop of New York) it was a vital place filled with mystery plays and cadet corps as well as worshipers. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.