Academic journal article Library Philosophy and Practice

Information Systems Research in the 21st Century: A Bibliometric Study

Academic journal article Library Philosophy and Practice

Information Systems Research in the 21st Century: A Bibliometric Study

Article excerpt

1.Introduction

The first hand information on a specific subject area nowhere gets a more cogent reflection than the journal on that specific field. Journals are the primary source of information and are the torchbearers of the growth of literature in different areas of knowledge. A suitable way of measuring the growth of a specific field of knowledge is the thorough analysis of a renowned journal on that specific subject domain. In this regard the bibliometric study of a journal is the best possible way. Bibliometrics are a range of quantitative measures that assess the impact of research outputs and complement qualitative indicators of research impact mainly to assess the quality and impact of research (University of Leeds, n.d.).

Just like any other subject domain, Library and Information Science (LIS) is also developing with every passing day and this growth gets its flagrant reflection in the original outputs of the journal Information Systems Research. But to limit the journal's compass within the short boundaries of a specific discipline like Library and Information Science does not do justice to its calibre. Business, Management and Accounting, Management Information Systems,

Computer Science, Computer Networks and Communications, Information Systems, Decision Sciences, Information Systems and Management all are the areas which fall under the purview of this journal. This particular bibliometric study on this journal will not only be helpful to judge the merit of this journal and the growth trend of its subject coverage but at the same time will be helpful to the Library and Information Science professionals to draw a better plan regarding journal selection i.e. collection development in a library because escalating price of journals has made libraries very choosy in their selection of their resources.

2.Literature Review

Mahendra Kumar (2014) presented a bibliometric analysis of the journal Library Herald for the period 2011 to 2014. He focused on the number of articles, authorship pattern, subject wise distribution of articles, average number of references per articles, forms of documents cited, year wise distribution of cited journals and the like. The result reflected that out of 114 articles single author contributions are 65 (57.01%) while the rest 49 (42.98%) articles were contributed by joint authors. Study emphasized on the India with 89.47 % contributions. Sarwesh Pareek (2013) focused on bibliometric analysis on the various aspects of the IFLA Journal. Distribution of article by year, authorship patterns, distribution of contributions by institution, subject distributions, citation patterns, length of article, rank of cited authors, and geographical distributions of authors have been represented by this study. "The year 2001 shows the maximum number of contributions (34 articles; 12.01 percent) to the IFLA journal. This study reveals that the categories of article distributions are remarkable in this research journal. Almost 99 % articles are written in English language. The majority of the articles were contributed by single authors (214 articles; 75.62 percent); and most authors were librarians, faculty members or researchers affiliated with academic or research institutions. Similarly most of the contributions are from USA with (71 articles; 18.35 percent), while Indian contribution is very less. The study revealed that maximum number of citations accounted in the period 2008 (12.01 percent). And maximum lengths of the citations are belonging to 11-20 citations." Nelson Edewor (2013) evaluated a Nigerian Library and Information Science journal in order to assess its performance and importance index, influence weight and popularity index. Citation analysis was carried out on the journal Information Impact: Journal of Information and Knowledge Management (IIJIKM) (ISSN: 2141-4297) over a four year period from 20110 to 2013. Library Philosophy and Practice (ejournal) topped the list of journals most cited in IIJIKM. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.