The Western Journal of Black Studies

Journal focusing on issues regarding the African American experience in the United States.

Articles from Vol. 30, No. 3, Fall

Come Hell or High Water: Hurricane Katrina and the Color of Disaster
Come Hell or High Water: Hurricane Katrina and the Color of Disaster AUTHOR: MICHAEL ERIC DYSON PUBLISHER: BASIC CIVITAS BOOKS, 2006 PRICE: $23.00 ISBN-10-0-465-01761-4 Dr. Michael Eric Dyson, Avalon Professor in the Humanities at the...
Ethnic Identity Development of African Americans: Experiences in Search of a Paradigm
Introduction A significant, and compelling, part of the argument that Thursgood Marshall used in the landmark case of Brown Vs. Board of Education of Topeka Kansas, was that the segregated school system had damaged and was continuing to damage African...
Offensive Language Afflicts Black Youth's Psyche
Introduction Observation, the most basic process of Science, began when the earliest Africans "took note" of their natural disasters and what was seen, heard, felt, tasted, and smelled inside their daily surroundings. Building on this information,...
Realizing Democratic Values with Race-Sensitive Affirmative Action
The Western Journal of Black Studies' Special Issue on Affirmative Action (2003) contains an excellent collection of eight articles on affirmative action. The reader is provided with a wide array of persuasive arguments supportive of affirmative action....
Supporting Diversity Works: African American Male and Female Employment in Six Florida Cities
Scholars and policy-makers have a vested interest in assessing the trends, attitudes, and laws that affect how men and women and blacks and whites make a living. This research helps to understand and remedy historical disadvantages, and assists in...
The Relationship between Racial Identity Attitudes and Interpersonal Development of African American College Peer Mentors
In 2001, the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) reported that approximately 11% of all African American college students were enrolled in historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) while the remaining 89% were attending predominately...
Through Ebony Eyes: What Teachers Need to Know but Are Afraid to Ask about African American Students
Through Ebony Eyes: What Teachers Need to Know but Are Afraid to Ask About African American Students AUTHOR: GAIL L. THOMPSON JOSSEY-BASS, CA 2007, PAPERBACK PRICE: $1 7.95 ISBN: 0787987697 Gail Thompson affirms that theories that have...
White: The Biography of Walter White, Mr. NAACP
White: The Biography of Walter White, Mr. NAACP AUTHOR: KENNETH ROBERT JANKEN NEW YORK: THE NEW PRESS, 2003 PRICE: $29.95 ISBN: 1-56584-3 The life and times of Walter White (1893-1955) is a very important study as it intersects directly...
Author Advanced search

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.