Magazine article American Libraries

Temporary Use, Conversion, and Expansion Characterize Building Award Winners

Magazine article American Libraries

Temporary Use, Conversion, and Expansion Characterize Building Award Winners

Article excerpt

A jury of three architects representing the American Institute of Architects and three librarians representing ALA has selected eight libraries as winners of 1993 AIA/ALA Library Buildings Awards. The winners include two innovative expansions, two expansions with major historical renovations, two new buildings, one "temporary" building, and one conversion of a two-room schoolhouse.

Ben Weese, FAIA, of Weese Langley Weese, in Chicago, chaired the jury for the 16th bi-annual Library Building Awards Program. The other jurors were: Carol Lee Anderson, State University of New York/ Albany; Lee B. Brawner, Metropolitan Library System, Oklahoma City, Okla.;

Anders C. Dahlgren, Wisconsin Division for Library Services, Madison, Wis.; Robert Herman, AIA, Herman Stoller Coliver Architects, San Francisco, Calif.; and Mark Simon, FAIA, Centerbook Architects, Essex, Conn.

And the winners are...

Selected in January at AkA's Midwinter Meeting in Denver, Colo. from 107 entries, the winning library buildings are: Hope Library, Hope, Alaska; designed by Krochina Architects, Anchorage, Alaska; Sharon White, library director. With just $75,000 to spend on construction, the architect winterized, upgraded, and converted a two-room schoolhouse into a 1,300-sq.-ft. community library and museum. The care and economy of the renovation speaks to the importance of the library in this rural village of 200. Parlin Memorial Library, Everett, Mass.; designed by CBT/Childs Bertman Tseckares, Boston, Mass.; John R Adams, library director. This project involved the complete renovation of an 1890 Romanesque Revival library and addition of new space. The addition has the same level of detail as the original, and, though the detailing is different, the addition is cohesive and seamless, retaining the spirit of the Victorian building.

Howell Carnegie District Library, Howell, Mich.; designed by David W. Osier Assodares (formerly Osier/Milling Architects), Ann Arbor, Mich.; associate architect, Quinn Evans, Ann Arbor, Mich.; Kathleen Zaenger, librarian. This combination restoration of a 1902 Carnegie Library (8,000 sq. ft.) and 23,000 sq. ft. of new construction responded to the library's building needs (more space, handicapped accessibility, and accommodation for technology) without destroying the character of the streetscape. More importantly, the design honored the axiality of the original Carnegie plan by retaining the front entrance as the primary access to the library.

Library of Art, Architecture, and Planning, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.; designed by Schwartz/ Silver Architects, Boston, Mass.; Jay Lucker, university librarian. In order to accommodate the book collection, the existing 9,000-sq.-ft. Iiwas expanded with an 18,000-sq.-ft. addition placed over a 30-by-100-foot slice of a service courtyard. A five-foot-wide skylighted slot separates the addition from the original building, bringing light into the interior, as well as allowing preservation of the 1930s facade of the old building as an architectural artifact. Harvey Firestone Library Addition, Princeton University, Princeton, N.J.; designed by Koetter, Klm & Assodates, Boston, Mass.; Donald W. Koepp, university librarian. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.