Magazine article Geographical

Russia

Magazine article Geographical

Russia

Article excerpt

Description A rectangular banner comprising three equal horizontal stripes of white, blue and red, known as the pan-Slavic colours. The flag's width-to-length ratio is 2:3.

History White, blue and red flags had been used in Russia prior to Peter the Great's visit to the Netherlands, but it was after this trip, in 1705, that it was adopted as a civil ensign for Russian ships. The dimensions and lateral stripes were probably influenced by those of the Dutch flag. The flag was officially recognised in 1799 and became an alternative civil flag from 1883--this owing to the unpopularity of the existing black, orange and white flag, which wasn't officially abolished until 1914. The flag was suppressed by the Bolsheviks and abolished after the 1917 revolution, when it was replaced by the red Communist flag. On 22 August 1991, shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the flag was officially adopted. In 1994, that day was declared a national holiday: Day of State Flag. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.