Magazine article The Exceptional Parent

School Entry and Exit Planning for Children with Special Needs

Magazine article The Exceptional Parent

School Entry and Exit Planning for Children with Special Needs

Article excerpt

A move with a child with special needs can be a challenge to even the most organized parents. Faced with all the details prior to a move, prepare for it by getting a notebook (in a size and style of your choice) to record all of your contacts, with room for all of your notes in one place! Plan to write down each contact's name, phone number, and email address, and the date of any request you make, as well as any important details of the conversation or visit in your notebook.

Next, break the move to the new school down into manageable steps you can check off (not necessarily in the order they are listed at right and on opposite page). You need to contact the new school district early in the process to prevent an interruption of services.

Notebook Checklist

What items are needed from the current school?

--Current or new Individualized Education Program (IEP) (2 copies)

--Current report card and grades to date of withdrawal

--Current copies of any school assessments results

--Current work portfolio

--Photographs of any equipment/devices your child is successfully using (including audio-video)

--Videotape of child with professional and/or aide using equipment noted above

--Doctors' records (immunizations, general medical records, other)

--Records from other professionals who have worked with your child (i.e., psychologist, counselor, and therapist)

--Letters of introduction from teachers, therapists, and other professionals who work with and know your child

What items are needed from the new school district/school?

--Contact information:

--District special education office

--School-specific special education service provider

--School-specific counselor

--Identify local policies:

--General registration procedures

--Initiation of procedure to receive services: how and when

--Student records transfer

--Mail--Hand carry--E-mail

--Assessment/Screening required

--Initiation of services


--Special needs interest/support groups:

--State level (Military Child Education Coalition[TM] (MCEC[TM]) Education Resource Center; National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities (NICHCY))

--District level

--Local agencies and other community support groups

Bonus TIP: Locate and use your military resources! …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.