Magazine article The Exceptional Parent

Filing Your Taxes Late?

Magazine article The Exceptional Parent

Filing Your Taxes Late?

Article excerpt

If you are filing your taxes after the IRS April deadline, make sure you are aware of the extended deadline and other important information.

If you are eligible for Military OneSource support, you have access to free tax services such as:

* Online tax preparation and filing software through the Military OneSource website until June 30

* Year-round access to Military OneSource tax consultants

Please call Military OneSource at 800342-9647 to learn more about these resources.


If you filed for an automatic 180-day extension (IRS form 4868), you may need to file your return by Oct. 15, 2016.

It is important to know that:

* Filing for an extension does not extend the time you have to pay any taxes due.

* Interest will be applied to any amount owed that you did not pay by the April deadline.

* Depending on the facts and circumstances, you may be responsible for penalties as well.

Special rules for deployed service members

The IRS allows certain extensions for individuals serving outside of the United States:

* If you are on duty outside of the United States and Puerto Rico on the due date of your income tax return, you are allowed an automatic two-month extension to June 15 to file your income tax return. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.