Magazine article Talent Development

The Middle of Engagement: Middle Managers Have a Great Effect on Employee Engagement

Magazine article Talent Development

The Middle of Engagement: Middle Managers Have a Great Effect on Employee Engagement

Article excerpt

Although many assume implementing employee engagement tactics is the sole responsibility of talent development, HR, or the C-suite, that might be incorrect. According to The Middle Revolution, a recent study from TINYpulse, another group of leaders is playing an increased role: the middle manager.

More than 70 percent of the study's 500 respondents reported that their manager had implemented engagement tactics. Of the other 30 percent, more than half said they would prefer if their managers did.

"Managers outside the C-suite are incredibly important to their organizations and have the power to inspire and uplift employees," the study notes. "They are leading the charge in implementing employee engagement strategies at work"

This should come as no surprise.

Most workers interact with their managers on a frequent basis, at least more frequently than with the C-suite, talent development, or HR. That means managers are more likely than other leaders to notice when employees are disengaged or apathetic about their jobs. Likewise, they are more likely to observe which factors contribute to a happy, punctual, and profitable workforce.

Thus, it's clear why organizations enjoy a slew of benefits when they hand the reigns of engagement tactics to midlevel leaders. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.