Magazine article Public Finance

Scotland Needs to Raise Its Game, Auditor Says

Magazine article Public Finance

Scotland Needs to Raise Its Game, Auditor Says

Article excerpt

As Scotland prepares to host the Commonwealth Games in 2014, a survey by Audit Scotland has found that fewer people are regularly taking part in sport and many facilities need to be improved.

The hosting of the Games in Glasgow is expected to cost £373m and Audit Scotland has warned of 'significant' public expenditure risks.

Auditor general Bob Black said: 'The Commonwealth Games are an excellent opportunity to promote sporting activity and to showcase Scotland internationally. Strong leadership and tight management of the risks will be essential.'

The study also says there are no clear links between the average public expenditure of £558m each year and the national sports strategy.

Its report, A performance overview of sport in Scotland, published on April 29, says local councils are responsible for about 90% of the average annual spending on sport, with Sportscotland (the national sports agency) and Lottery funding contributing the remaining 10%. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.