Magazine article The Tracker

Vogelpohl!

Magazine article The Tracker

Vogelpohl!

Article excerpt

OCCASIONALLY, A MYSTERIOUS BOX ARRIVES AT THE DOORS OF the American Organ Archives, and inside is a significant collection of materials pertaining to an organbuilder. Such was the case recently when OHS member Edward H. Meyer of Stillwater, Minnesota, sent us a parcel labeled only as "Vogelpohl!"

The firm, Vogelpohl & Spaeth of New Ulm, Minnesota, was founded in 1890 as the partnership of Herman Heinrich Vogelpohl (1852-1919) and Jacob C. Spaeth (1856-1937). In 1914, it became H.H. Vogelpohl & Sons, bringing the next generation - Herman A. (1886-1960) and Ernest C. Vogelpohl (1895- 1966) - into the business with their father. The firm operated until 1921. By 1924, Ernest was a representative of M. P. Möller, and later worked for both Reuter and Wicks. Vogelpohl & Spaeth built some 100 organs over 31 years, mostly for churches in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas.

Included in the small but high-quality collection were five original manufacturers' catalogs, including the Catalogue of Church and Parlor Pipe Organs (1898), the Catalogue of Pipe Organs Manufactured by Vogelpohl & Spaeth (1906), Pipe Organs (1910), Testimonials Concerning Pipe Organs (1912), and Einige Zeugnisse bezüglich der Pfeifen Orgeln (1915), obviously aimed at their German-speaking clientele. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.