Magazine article The Tracker

Historic Organ Citation 399

Magazine article The Tracker

Historic Organ Citation 399

Article excerpt

IN 1912, THE CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH, Chelmsford, Massachusetts, undertook major renovations to the exterior and interior of their building. This included changing the appearance of the sanctuary and purchasing a new organ. In March 191 2, the congregation voted to purchase an Estey organ, to be located in the front of the sanctuary, for $1,600 plus $200 for a blower. Andrew Carnegie provided $750 of the cost.

Estey organ, Opus 1003, was played for the first time on June 16, 1912 followed by an organ recital by Claude Saunier (organist of the Mother Church in Boston) on June 27 and a service of dedication on July 2. The organ was typical of those Esteys built for small churches during this period. The case has quarter-sawn oak panels, and the case pipes are now painted white. Stop controls are a miniature keyboard where a labelled white key puts a stop on, and a black key puts it off. The action is tubularpneumatic with ventil chests.

There is slight damage to the case where a past attempt to install connections to an additional organ, located in the rear of the sanctuary, led to holes being drilled in the panels on both sides of the console. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.