Magazine article Screen International

More Than 350 Individuals, Organisations Respond in MEDIA Mundus Consultation

Magazine article Screen International

More Than 350 Individuals, Organisations Respond in MEDIA Mundus Consultation

Article excerpt

More than 350 individuals and organisations from the European Union (EU) and around the globe have participated in a public consultation on the next round of the MEDIA Mundus Programme after 2013.

According to the European Commission (EC), a total of 367 responses were collected for the MEDIA Mundus consultation between March 7 and May 29 this year, with 86% respondents coming from EU countries and the remaining 14% from third countries. The four countries most represented among the respondents were Germany (46), Spain (45), Belgium (39) and France (37), with Italy and the UK accounting for almost 30 submissions.

In addition, there were responses to the online consultation from afar afield as Equador, Cameroon, Singapore and New Zealand.

Producers were by far the largest represented category of respondents making up almost 100 of the submissions, or 27% of the total collected replies.

In a summary of the responses, the Commission pointed out that respondents agreed, in particular, on proposed action lines for "financial support to co-production funds" as well for "events and other activities intended to facilitate the sale of films or work in progress" and those "intended to facilitate the search for co-production partners."

Despite the low percentage of cinema owners among the respondents, the proposed action line regarding international cinema networks screening a significant proportion of European films in the rest of the world and international films in Europe benefited from a large number of positive answers, especially from producers, distributors and associations.

Meanwhile, almost half of the respondents - 125 - added general comments and proposals at the end of the general questionnaire.

The UK's Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), for example, called for synergies with other European support programmes, including MEDIA.

"In looking at any proposed new actions for MEDIA Mundus, the principle of complementarity with other EU support programmes, mainly MEDIA, but also ACP Films should be paramount. This leads to a much broader question about whether we need from 2014 onwards two programmes (i.e. MEDIA and MEDIA Mundus) or should all efforts be made to consolidate all strategic benefits in one international programme fit for the globalised and electronic 21st century," the DCMS suggested.

At the same time, a Spanish respondent proposed argued that MEDIA Mundus should join forces with the EU's FP7 programme on research and development to "promote R&D projects on new business models in the audiovisual sector, as the whole distribution chain has to undergo significant changes in the forthcoming years."

The principle of reciprocity, which is obligatory for all project applications to MEDIA Mundus, raised the most comments. A respondent from Cyprus wrote that "the 'joint submission' of projects is a nice democratic rule that has little relevance to everyday economic life: usually, there is 'somebody' starting a project and, in the process, partners come along; during the process, partners may drop out 'any day, any time', so 'joint submission' may render invalid some 11 months of work when/if one of your partners drops out. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.