Magazine article Personnel Journal

Who's Making News in the Newsroom?

Magazine article Personnel Journal

Who's Making News in the Newsroom?

Article excerpt

The U.S. Bureau of the Census has predicted that by the year 2050, the total U.S. population will reach 392 million, with the following racial breakdown: 52% Anglo; 23% Hispanic; 14% black; 10% Asian and 1% Native American. Today, racial minorities make up about 24% of the total U.S. population.

Within the newspaper industry, journalists of color currently make up 10.49% of the newspaper work force, according to an American Society of Newspaper Editors survey released earlier this year. The findings were based on responses from 987 of 1,515 daily newspapers, or 65% of all U.S. dailies. The ASNE began conducting newspaper employment surveys in 1978. These are some of the findings:

* 55% of the newspapers in the country employ black, Hispanic, Asian American and Native American journalists. The other 45% have no single racial minority in the newsroom.

* The total newsroom work force--about 53,711--comprises about 2,890 or 5% black journalists, 1,587 or 3% Hispanic, 983 or 2% Asian American and 177 or less than 1% Native American.

* Nearly 53% of the 5,637 newsroom professionals of color are reporters and writers; 17% are copy editors and 13% are photographers and artists. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.