Magazine article The Tracker

Movin' Around

Magazine article The Tracker

Movin' Around

Article excerpt

ORIGINALLY FOUNDED IN 1834 as the Second Wesleyan Chapel, this New York City congregation moved to a new building in 1858 that was dedicated as St. Paul's Methodist Church. The white marble church at Fourth Avenue and 22nd Street had a 210-foot tall center spire and could seat 1,300. A new three-manual, 37-stop organ built by George Jardine & Son was installed in the rear gallery. It had an unusual facade, incorporating elements of Romanesque, Gothic, and even Moorish design, with a recessed console protected from sticky, exploring hands by hinged doors.

Perhaps wanting a more robust sound as the congregation grew in size, a fourth manual with six new stops was added in 1871. A further enlargement of the organ in 1881 included a Saxophone, bells, new action, and the addition of two wings to the case making it 16 feet wider.

With the encroachment of commercial buildings in the 22nd Street neighborhood, St. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.