Magazine article HRMagazine

Unused Vacation Days Take a Toll

Magazine article HRMagazine

Unused Vacation Days Take a Toll

Article excerpt

At organizations offering paid-vacation plans, most full-time employees (86 percent) have sufficient tenure to accrue six to 20 vacation days annually. But many fail to take all their days, which can negatively affect performance and morale, according to a survey by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) in collaboration with and commissioned by the U.S. Travel Association, a trade organization. Among the findings:

* Slightly more than half of organizations (55 percent) offer paid-vacation plans, while the remaining 45 percent offer paid-time-offplans that combine vacation and sick days.

* New employees with one year of service receive an average of 11 paid vacation days.

* Overall, 61 percent of organizations report that, on average, employees have at least three unused vacation days each year.

* 62 percent of organizations let employees roll over vacation days-54 percent allow limited rollover, and 8 percent provide unlimited rollover. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.