Magazine article Screen International

Italy's Notorious Pictures Debuts on AIM

Magazine article Screen International

Italy's Notorious Pictures Debuts on AIM

Article excerpt

EXCLUSIVE: Company's increased acquisition drive includes post Cannes purchase of boxing drama Bleed For This.

Rome-based distributor Notorious Pictures made its debut today on the Italian AIM market, the country's alternative capital market for small and medium-sized companies.

Founded in 2012, the company has seen rapid growth over the last 18 months, climbing to number four in Italy's distributor rankings for the first three months of 2014, from number 10 in 2013.

Notorious Pictures CEO and founder Guglielmo Marchetti told ScreenDaily in an exclusive interview that the [euro]7.5m ($10m) raised through the move would be used to increase acquisitions and enter production.

The [euro]7.5m ($10m) represents roughly 10.3% of the company's total capital, said Marchetti, who controls the remaining 89.7%.

"Becoming a public quoted company is an important step for Notorious," said Marchetti. "It gives us access to new sources of finance which will enable us to further expand.

"There are two poles of growth we want to pursue. Firstly, we want to increase our international acquisitions from 15 to 20 films a year and within that pick-up more bigger budget, commercial productions with important casts."

He noted the company's main focus was on North American product but not exclusively.

"Roughly 60% of our acquisitions hail from North America but we also pick up European titles, in particular from France where they have a high level of production," said Marchetti.

Notorious' box office hits this year include two French features: Gaumont's Belle and Sebastian, which grossed nearly $10m; and Pathé's Beauty and the Beast, which made $7m.

"We also want to start getting involved in production, both at a local and an international level," he continued. "The Italian-language films will be mainly comedies. Internationally, we want to work on English-language films with European or North American partners."

Recent acquisitions

On the recent acquisitions front, Marchetti said the company has just completed a post-Cannes acquisition of Bleed For This, starring Miles Teller as real-life boxing champion Vinny Pazienza who overcame a broken neck to win more titles. Aaron Eckhart stars as his trainer Kevin Rooney.

International sales are handled by Synchronicity, a division of The Solution Entertainment Group.

Other previously announced Cannes acquisitions included Japanese Mamoru Oshii's English-language, sci-fi picture The Last Druid: Garm Wars; Splash Entertainment's polar bear ecology drama Norm of the North; Gerald Butler thriller Den of Thieves; French fantasy animation Mune; and comedy That Awkward Moment. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.