Magazine article New Internationalist

Inequality and the 1%

Magazine article New Internationalist

Inequality and the 1%

Article excerpt

Inequality and the 1% by Danny Dorling (Verso, ISBN 9781781685853)

'There's class warfare all right, but it's my class, the rich class that's making war, and we're winning.' Thus spake the financier Warren Buffett, famously breaking ranks with his compatriots in 'the 1%' and exploding the lie that the super-rich act in the beneficial interest of the remaining '99%' of us. In his timely and important book, Danny Dorling makes the case that such vast - and increasing - social inequality is not merely morally iniquitous but also deeply harmful to the fabric of society.

In closely argued chapters on childhood, work, wealth and health, he marshalls the statistical evidence underpinning the argument that growing inequality and ossifying social mobility have dramatic and wide-reaching detrimental effects across the fields of education, employment, life expectancy and social cohesion. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.