Magazine article Screen International

Ridley Scott Confirms 'Alien: Covenant' Details

Magazine article Screen International

Ridley Scott Confirms 'Alien: Covenant' Details

Article excerpt

Ridley Scott will shoot at least one of his potential Alien origins trilogy in Australia.

Scott is currently in Australia scouting locations for the first of his Prometheus sequels, Alien: Covenant, which will shoot for 16 weeks at Sydney's Fox Studios Australia facility in March 2016.

The director provided new details about the film at a press conference held at the studio on Friday November 27, where he spoke alongside state and federal politicians, including Australia's foreign minister, Julie Bishop MP.

Scott explained that Covenant will pick up the sci-fistoryline where 2012's Prometheus ended, and is the first of a trilogy that will connect directly with his original Alien.

"Prometheus 1 was borne out of my frustration with Alien 1," he said.

"I never did any more because I don't normally do sequels but I was amazed with the three that followed, no one asked the question about the alien: Who made it and why?"

The new film will focus on the crew members of colony ship Covenant, who mistake a remote planet for an undiscovered paradise, until they encounter 'synthetic' David (Michael Fassbender), the planet's only occupant and the lone survivor of the ill-fated Prometheus expedition.

Scott explained that Fassbender will play two roles in the film, and that Prometheus star Noomi Rapace would return in a minor part. He said that casting of the Covenant crew roles is in the advanced stages, but declined to name names, saying "we haven't signed the contracts yet".

He confirmed that a number of Australians will feature in the cast - "I would always look for that; it's a natural thing to do," he said, adding, "Aussie actors are in my DNA".

Scott raised the prospect of working with his Robin Hood Maid Marion, Cate Blanchett again.

The pair had been set to work together on The Martian, until a scheduling clash made her unavailable and the role went to Jessica Chastain instead.

Scott's decision to film Down Under comes after the Australian Government amended its locations incentives for offshore production specifically for the film.

Scott had attended a location scout in Australia in May 2014, as part of an Ausfilm-sponsored excursion for international filmmakers, but he was underwhelmed by the 16.5 percent locations incentive.

Some 15 months later, he sought a meeting with Bishop and made an appeal to have the rebate system re-examined. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.