Magazine article The Tracker

Aeoliana

Magazine article The Tracker

Aeoliana

Article excerpt

Scarcely had the Spring issue of The Tracker hit the news stands than former OHS President Michael Friesen informed the editor/author that the 1904 Aeolian organ No. 956 listed for Dr. William Alexander Jones was not the first Aeolian organ in Minneapolis. Rather it was an 1897 instrument, No. 829, purchased by Dr. J.H. Martindale, a dentist living at 2429 First Avenue South. Friesen enclosed a clipping from the Star Tribune:

A pleasing event promised for next Saturday afternoon is a musicale to be given by Mrs. J.H. Martindale. ... It will be a benefit for the free dispensary of St. Barnabas's Hospital, the money to be devoted to the purchase of medicines. The program is very attractive. A principal part of it will be organ numbers played by Mrs. Martindale on the Eolian pipe organ which has been recently placed in her house. . . . Miss Nellie Hale and Mrs. Martindale will play a piano and organ duet.1

Then, Anthony Baglivi, editor emeritus of The American Organist, found that three months earlier, the Aeolian Quarterly noted that of the company's recent instruments: "Dr. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.