Magazine article The American Organist

The Chancel Organs of St. Thomas Church, New York A History in Nameplates

Magazine article The American Organist

The Chancel Organs of St. Thomas Church, New York A History in Nameplates

Article excerpt

The organ in che first building at Broadway and Houston Street, which opened in 1826, was а II/13-rank Hall & Erben, a partnership between Henry Erben and his brother-in-law, Thomas Hall. A much larger organ of III/28 stops, by Henry Erben, was opened on June 17, 1831.

On March 2, 1851, the organ and church were destroyed by fire. Hall & Labagh built a new III/30-rank organ for the new building.

In 1870, St. Thomas moved to 53rd Street and Fifth Avenue, where Hall, Labagh & Co. installed a III/60-rank organ. Between 1881 and 1883, Hilborne L. Roosevelt built a IV/68-rank tubular-pneumatic, electropneumatic organ.

In 1904, Hutchings-Votey rebuilt the organ with an all-electropneumatic action, but it was destroyed by fire on August 8, 1905. Hutchings-Votey then provided а II/17-rank organ for the 1,400-seat temporary wooden church.

The Ernest M. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.