Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Priorymen Leave It Late

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Priorymen Leave It Late

Article excerpt

Byline: Anthony Vickers

A last gasp free-kick earned Guisborough Town a 2-1 FA Cup first qualifying round win at rivals Thornaby.

They went into today's second qualifying round draw along with battling Billingham Town who came storming from behind to earn a 2-2 draw at Dunston Fed with a stoppage time penalty.

But Marske were on the wrong end of a late sucker punch as they went out 2-1 in stoppage time at Winsford.

Gritty Guisborough snatched their victory two minutes into stoppage time in a scrappy showdown at Teesdale Park.

A long range Greg Booth free-kick bounced through a crowded box and sneaked in at the far post to settle a full-blooded Teesside top flight derby.

After a fast and furious start Guisborough went ahead on 15 minutes as Craig Bishop streaked down the left then crossed to the far post where Wayne Osborne popped up unmarked to crash home his fifth goal of the season.

But in a keenly contested game tempers were fraying and, amid a flurry of bookings, Town's Steve Ritchie was subbed before his yellow was upgraded to a red.

Thornaby almost levelled just before the break as Chris Reeve had a shot saved then, as he nodded the rebound goalwards, it was headed off the line.

Town went close as first Ben Walker fired over then Mark Sunley had a good header saved from the a corner.

Thornaby sub Newton Boyce almost levelled with his first touch on 66 minutes but his low effort was saved. Then, straight back at the other end, the teenager headed off the line after Walker drew the keeper to shoot.

Thornaby piled on the pressure and finally got a leveller on 81 minutes as Jamie Clarke drilled a low 25-yard free-kick through the wall and inside the post.

And they could have sealed it as Clarke squared for Boyce sliding in at the far post but he just failed to make contact.

It looked set for a replay when Town landed their late sucker punch from Booth's free-kick.

Billingham Town stormed back from two down in the last seven minutes to grab a battling 2-2 draw at Dunston Fed.

Dunston went ahead on 17 minutes as Taylor floated in a free-kick and Stephen Holmes climbed highest to head home. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.